I'll probably end up editing this post quite a bit because I'm learning so much about this topic and while I'm recording what I learn in my journal, I'm so much faster at typing than writing so I'll type too. Shane and I had something that we REALLY,REALLY wanted to work out. It was a job opportunity that seemed like the PERFECT scenerio for our family. The job only opens up every few years IF someone else transfers. There is usually only one position, but they opened up one more so there were two. The Powerplant manager told Shane that he really wanted to hire someone who was planning to stay in the area for a LONG time. We were excited to commit to that because it was back in my hometown area and I've wanted to be there for my parents as they get older so badly. Everything seemed to come at the perfect time as an answer to our prayers. My parents and grandma were so excited and were dreaming of how much we would enjoy living close. It also seemed like the perfect opportunity to spend more time together as a family. I don't want to even try to list all of the reasons it seemed ideal, but our desires were very righteous. We studied the topic of faith and applied the principles for having our prayers answered...we searched our hearts to see where we needed improvement to further qualify for the Lord's power in our lives and repented where necessary (I had A LOT more to work on than Shane, I'm sure!), we plead our case before the Lord and told Him why we had the desire that we did, we made sacred promises to Him that we would do things to show our committment to our desire every day, we fasted and attended the Temple, our names were put on the prayer roll, we thought positively, and we did all we could to make it happen. Shane had an interview and was told he had the job if he could pass a VERY difficult test. I don't have time to explain it all here, but most people who take this test don't pass it, so we knew we'd need God's help. Shane prayerfully asked the Lord to guide him to the right material to study since they don't give you anything but very general info. about the test. The only book he knew to study had 1000 pages. He spent EVERY week-night (Mon. after FHE and Tues. after his calling) and every Sat. studying for the two and a half weeks he had before the test. We knew that it would take a miracle, but with the Lord's help, anything is possible. The morning of the test we got up at 3:00 am for him to study some more. (I was there for moral support.) Shane spent 5 hours on the test and did his best, but when it came to a certain section, he was TOTALLY unprepared and didn't do well on that part at all. They graded his test and not only told him that he didn't pass, they told him that to be considered for the job again, he'd have to take a class on the area he failed. That would be fair, except we found out from a VERY reliable source who has LOTS of friends and family working for the company, that MOST people who pass the test know someone who has taken it and they've been given all the questions and info. to memorize and study. It's all very politcal and even though we realized that before the test, we thought that we would be blessed. There's a bit more to explain, but it's too complicated to write. Now it seems that Shane is FURTHER away than he was before from the job opportunity. I was very sad last night and to be honest, upset. Not at Shane, but at fact that the "formula" hadn't seemed to work for us. I couldn't see ANY reason for us to not get the job. I couldn't see ONE negative in the whole thing! I wanted to be humble and accept, but I was really struggling with opposition. I felt the Spirit trying to gently work on me, but I'd shove the feelings aside with my angry ones. Finally after I was emotionally spent, I was in a humble state and began to feel comfort. I realized that Heavenly Father will bless us in whatever ways are best. I read the conference talk about Faith and Character by Richard G. Scott. I HIGHLY recommend it! These are a few quotes from the talk that helped....
"We become what we want to be by consistently being what we want to become each day. Righteous character is a precious manifestation of what you are becoming. Righteous character is more valuable than any material object you own, any knowledge you have gained through study, or any goals you have attained no matter how well lauded by mankind. In the next life your righteous character will be evaluated to assess how well you used the privilege of mortality.....
Strong moral character results from consistent correct choices in the trials and testing of life. Such choices are made with trust in things that are believed and when acted upon are confirmed.
What are some of the empowering principles upon which faith is based?
• Trust in God and in His willingness to provide help when needed, no matter how challenging the circumstance.
• Obedience to His commandments and a life that demonstrates that He can trust you.
• Sensitivity to the quiet promptings of the Holy Spirit.
• Courageous implementation of that prompting.
• Patience and understanding when God lets you struggle to grow and when answers come a piece at a time over an extended period......
“Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith” (Ether 12:6). Thus, every time you try your faith—that is, act in worthiness on an impression—you will receive the confirming evidence of the Spirit. As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise. With even your strongest faith, God will not always reward you immediately according to your desires. Rather, God will respond with what in His eternal plan is best for you, when it will yield the greatest advantage. Be thankful that sometimes God lets you struggle for a long time before that answer comes. That causes your faith to increase and your character to grow."
The Spirit quietly reminded me that our ultimate goal is to have eternal life with our family. That matters more than anything. The Lord knows what we need to experience to achieve that goal. I repented of my negative feelings and committed to CHEERFULLY submit to whatever the Lord has in store for us. I know that "who I am" matters more than "where I live". I can decide to be the person I thought that moving would help me be, RIGHT NOW. I also know that there are many things we can do to have a wonderful life together right now. The Lord is aware of our family and will bless us. We have so much to be grateful for! Now I've been humbled and I'm grateful for this opportunity because it woke me up and made me stop coasting and inspired me to make new resoves and committments. I'm keeping those promises that I made to God, even though I didn't get what I wanted AND I'm not going to ask for anything new right away. I have faith that there are beautiful things in store. I would rather become who HE wants me to be than anything else. I know the Lord is aware of EACH of us and if we CHOOSE faith, we'll feel his love for us even when we don't feel our prayers are "answered".
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Unanswered Prayers
Posted by Jen at 9:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Jen, I love your blog title!
As I was reading this post, I had a quote in my head that I really love - God answers our prayers in three ways: 1) yes 2) not yet 3) I have something better in mind for you. I wish you all the best(!), and that everything works out even better than you had hoped!!!!
Thank you so much Natalia. Honestly, the things I learned from you were such a blessing to me. Because I was closer to the Spirit from the things I committed to, I was able to feel peace in a pretty short amount of time. I'm so grateful that I have more knowledge about faith to apply now and that I can look ahead with gratitude. The principles I am learning from your example and the book, make me excited for the future!
I love your perspective...but that's still a major bummer!
Post a Comment